Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Uncomforts Of Home Prevent My Writing

I've never been a huge fan of the Eastern Time Zone.

Sure I grew up in it and all that but for some reason Central Time seems to be a place where I can write a lot more. Things just end earlier there (and by things, I mean things like football games and television shows, which is about all I have to do in Michigan).

The last two days of writing have been pretty pathetic no matter where I've been.

What I'm thankful for on this Thanksgiving is that I wrote until 2:00 a.m. on Tuesday night getting up to 35,257 words. I thought I would have some time to write before my sister and I drove home to my parent's house but that just didn't happen.

I was out running errands and such until the very moment I had to pick up her dog and retrieve her from work.

Then today I woke up early and spent the entire day on the phone with my dad trying to do tech support for my laptop that keeps shutting itself down. I'm getting recovery disks to get the system back to scratch (since they're pretty sure it's a software problem) the second week in December. That's not going to help for NaNo.

What also doesn't help is that I have to use my mother's computer with a kitchen chair (and I thought the folding chair I used at home before making a laptop like setup on my bed was bad) that is not very conducive to marathoning comfort. My sister's dog requires a very large bed, apparently so my dad's office, where I usually sleep on a foldout couch, is taken.

I'm sleeping in my brother's room as he's in North Carolina. Lucky bastard. It snowed here in Michigan.

Anyway, end result is I now stand at 36,574 (just over 1,000 words after I wrote a tiny amount at work yesterday just to say that I did). This means in the last three days of the month I have to write 13,426 words. Which is possible but it's going to be really rough.

Looks like I might not do a lot in Detroit after all. Though we may go back to Chicago early. If this is the case, Sunday could be a madhouse sprint of sprints from the comfort and inspiration of my own bed.

At least I'm going to sleep pretty early today so I can wake up and buy some dirt cheap memory tomorrow morning. Though I am not sleeping out tonight. Thank goodness for small favors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home