Monday, November 24, 2008

This Fantasy Writing Thing Is Just As Nerve Wracking

Last year when I was word war captain for Chicago, NaNoWriMo was almost like a second job. I would spend my evenings working through the various issues (I don't want to rehash them since they're all in black and white, or whatever color this blog shows up as, in older entries).

This year I tried to avoid that.

This year I couldn't really afford that since I'm really busy at my real job. There is not even a chance to take a day off at my real job (I'm thankful for Thanksgiving Friday this year for sure). I don't even have time to write on my lunch breaks since those are shorter than usual.

I really wish that I did and I know I'm going to regret squeezing in another writing session tonight, but my first writing session was nothing short of pathetic. I didn't start writing until 10:00 since I work up at 8:00 p.m. Today I wrote a review of Philly's Best on Yelp and so I felt I should eat there again tonight.

The owner had actually read my review and commented on a joke line that I put in about rolling my eyes about a substitution. It actually happened but it was more my fault. I took the line out. While I was eating my wonderful hoagie (I gave the place four stars so he wasn't too upset), I realized "My Own Worst Enemy" was on.

Seeking some inspiration from that well written show, I watched the entire thing.

I thought I had gotten blown out in fantasy football this week since I was 31 points behind with Lance Moore and Greg Jennings to go tonight. I opened up stat tracker early in the third quarter and, holy wow, I saw the two of them together had put up 30 points with a lot of time left.

So I turned on Monday Night Football. And I watched as Greg Jennings put up just enough yardage to give me what could be a five point win. I verified the stats independently on ESPN because I couldn't believe my eyes. I still won't until tomorrow morning. I still expect it to be a glitch and instead of being 9-3-0 and in 2nd place in my league, I'll be 8-4-0 and in 4th.

Now I was writing while all of this was happening but I was, as is understandable to anyone who's ever played fantasy football, a bit distracted.

Really long story now short, I only wrote 1,325 words tonight and stand at 31,669. This almost keeps me at around 3,000 words a day to continue on but I feel like I'm taking too many chances. I don't know how busy Thanksgiving weekend will actually be.

I won't believe, similarly to fantasy football, that I reached 50,000 until I'm at about 52,000. That won't happen tonight, obviously, but I still want to push on to 33,000. I'm at the point now where the main character is trying on his new identity for the first time applying for a job at a video store. So maybe I'll just finish this scene.

I forsee being very tired at work tomorrow though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home