Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Small Town Brings Big Words

I missed my end of weekend goal of 33,000 by quite a bit. I mean there were 3s and 0s in my ending weekend word count of 30,334 but not quite in the right places.

Though I am astounded I was able to squeeze out4,173 words today.

Things didn't look good toward getting anywhere near that this morning when I went out to brunch with a high school friend of mine that was in town at this fantastic creperie in Lincoln Park.

I was supposed to go into work immediately after but I came home exhausted and slept instead until about 4:15. I wrote a review on Yelp and then, finally at 5:00 started back into "Drive."

I wrote for 75 minutes getting to around 27,500. This could have been where I had called it quits on past Sundays. But, thankfully "Animation Domination" was cancelled on Fox so I wrote right on through until about 10:30 p.m.

I don't know what the next two days will bring but at least I'm at a place in the story now where I can write.

I'm right at the beginning of the 23rd chapter (that mystical number). I worked through the end of Washington D.C. (it ended badly) and now have the main character in Staunton, Virginia. It's a city I drove through on the road trip that inspired "Drive" (though I was never suicidal, for me it was just a vacation and had every intention of going back to Chicago) that I thought, "I could live in this place if I had to choose any small town in America."

It really is a nice semi-liberal college town right in the middle of Virginia's bible belt. It went slightly for Bush in 2004 (by about 2%) but I can almost guarantee Obama carried it this time around. And it has a thiriving art scene almost like an artist collective in the west.

I had the main character check into a transient hotel there (still a bit short on money) while he looks for a job. The description of the rules there took up quite a few words.

I know tomorrow I'll have something to write about the job search and I know this is where something important happens that makes him make a tough decision, but I don't know what yet. It probably involves a girl. All my novels do. Stupid dude lit.

Anyhow, off to sleep so I try to push for that 33,000 tomorrow that I didn't get tonight.

Oh, one more thing, I caught and passed my 27th place New Zealand counterpart in the Word War tonight. By 300 words. It feels good to at least be able to say that, even if disaster does strike and I don't finish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home