Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Settling Down Into Words In The Story's Washington D.C.

So this is a good problem to have, I guess.

For the first time in November, but pretty late in the month considering this is 30,000 word day, I actually find myself wanting to write my novel and not stop to do other things. Well, that's not entirely true but at least I find words appearing on the page at a faster rate so that's a start.

I might just make 20,000 by the 20th. Except I still have plans on the evening of the 20th that might prevent this barring a writing frenzy tomorrow.

Tonight I actually had standing Tuesday plans that I cancelled in order to write. Of course I ended up sleeping until 8:00 p.m. after burning the midnight oil yesterday and only getting to 15,245 in 75 minutes (a whopping 206 words, one of my least productive writing sessions ever as far as WPM went). But once I woke up in a little over 90 minutes tonight, I now stand at 17,440.

Or, you know, back to half of what I should be at.

The way I did it? Well, smut I guess. But not in the word count padding way that some people do it. I didn't write a sex scene or anything (I don't know if I've ever written one per se in my six years of NaNoWriMo) but I think I just created some sexual tension in my story.

Turns out the guy, Cal (an old college friend), who the main character is staying with has a really hot wife. The first night he's staying with him in Arlington, Virginia he catches her, she doesn't know it, walking half naked through the hall to go an feed the baby.

I don't know where this will lead, exactly, though I think it may be why he gets kicked out of the condominium and is forced to go on the road again, but at least there were some words in it and a piece of plot.

Though those pieces are less rare right about now. I know what's going to happen next as far as "Washington D.C." goes (the suburbs at least).

Now I just need to free up more time to actually write it. I've almost caught the tail end of the rest of the word war team (I've passed two people who have seemingly given up).

Alright, back to writing (at least as soon as the clock strikes midnight). I'm going to try to get to 18,500 before I go to sleep tonight. That will make the 20,000 that I aim for tomorrow very doable. Kind of like this character's wife. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home