Sunday, November 02, 2008

It All Comes Full Circle Back To 2004

One thing that I often forget in discussing my ultimate success in 2004 is how much peril was contained in that winning experience.

There were times that I thought I would never finish 50,000 words, let alone the novel (and I did end the month with barely over the minimum - 56,000). There were nights typing away on a hotel television screen computer in New York City. There was a day in an internet cafe off Times Square. There were about seven computers involved in total.

In short, I didn't have a laptop.

Well, today I discovered that I don't have a laptop for this year either. In June, right after I moved into a new apartment, the computer that I got Thanksgiving of 2006 ended up becoming useless. Luckily the one from 2005 was fixed and I've been using that one. But the battery has been acting up just like the first time it was my primary computer.

Yesterday the battery went dead.

I really can't afford a new battery right now. Not even close. So I'm back to typing on the very desk top computer that I used in 2004. This year really has come full circle.

Or I should say that I've been avoiding typing on said computer.

After going into work in the morning to catch up on a few things, I had all day to write like the wind. Especially since my primary distraction of posting photos to flickr wasn't going to work either since all of my photos are on that laptop.

I ended up writing around 1,000 words today starting at 10:45 p.m.

I now stand at 1,631 or just under a day behind. Not a great haul for the first weekend but at least I wrote both days.

Tomorrow I will get on this whole writing thing. Only top 25-35 writers at the end of week one get to be on the word war team. Of course being on the team is going to be a lot tougher sans laptop until the next paycheck.

But, hey, in New York City I'll get to relive one of the most interesting experiences I ever had. Writing in an internet cafe off Times Square.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home