Saturday, November 15, 2008

Inspiration Comes From Strange Places

Inspiration certainly comes from some weird places, that's for sure.

Last night as I was walking down Fullerton like I had a thousand times before toward the liquor store to get some milk, eggs, and butter, a group of kids attacked me. They were trying to mug me (at least the police seem to think so) and one of the kids hit me with a lock inside of a sock a couple of times. I'm not much worse for wear except for a cut above my left eye and a lump on the back of my head that has now shrunk down to normal size.

They weren't able to get my wallet or inflict more damage because I managed to duck into the liquor store in a cold run before they could.

I'm fine today. And I actually wrote it into my novel.

It was a bit difficult to write even though I changed the details. But what I'm really inspired to write about comes next.

Thusfar in the novel, the main character has avoided trouble and it wasn't making for a very exciting story. But trouble will eventually find you, especially if you set yourself up for it like he has by setting himself off on the road and leaving his identity behind. I want to write about the violation that is felt when your safety is suddenly called into question.

And now there's a reason for him to actually struggle.

But only half the month to do it.

I had planned on going to a lot of write-ins the second half of the month but just as quickly as my laptop was fixed, it's broken again. It runs perfectly for some time and then, suddenly, out of the blue 15-20 minutes after it's turned on, it turns itself off.

I definitely need a new laptop at Thanksgiving which is something I was hoping to avoid this time around. So it's back to the desktop.

Though I have changed my bedroom setup around so I'm now almost writing as I would were my desktop a laptop. Though with a detachable mouse.

I still only managed to write a little over a thousand words today and now stand at 12,795. I got to 11,392 in a final word sprint at the Brooklyn write-in and hadn't written since. I was just too busy with my program in NYC and then hanging out with my New York friends afterwards.

But now I'm back in Chicago so it's back to writing again.

At least I hope so since I rejoined the word war team as six openings happened (and I was #32 in the original group of signeees to begin with so with 33 spots I didn't feel too bad). So it's back to not letting other people down again. Which leads to quite a bit of inspiration as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home