Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Big Apple's Worth Of Inspiration

I'm writing this entry from Atlas Cafe in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

There's a New York: New York City regional write-in here tonight and since I'm in New York City for work, I decided to crash the party. Well, not really crash since their ML knew that I was coming. And we're not competing against them this year so we're all on the same "team".

Though none of them seem to be struggling nearly as much as I am.

The irony of my writing with these New York City people is that I've yet to attend a Chicago write-in in 2008. And last year I resolved to do that this year at the end of 2007.

If anyone is reading this (I've done a great job of publicizing Retentivewrimo this year) and has the opportunity, I highly recommend going to a write-in with another region. It's so odd how similar they are to our own.

Even the faces could be the same as those in Chicago.

Though they did make me feel a bit slow. We had a sprint (they don't call them word wars here, damn we're competitive in Chicago, but they do keep score) and I only wrote 498 words in 20 minutes.

Now I've never been the fastest in the world at these things (whatever they're called) but I usually do better than that. This year's story still isn't inspiring me in any way, shape or form.

But I have broken the 10,000 mark finally. 10,715. Still around a 30,000 word pace as opposed to 50,000.

The current scene I'm writing is the MC (who still has no name) nearly getting into a fight with a redneck in front of the Flight 93 Memorial in Pennsylvania. I think I'm going to hades for writing this chapter in New York City.

For my next trick, when I'm home in Detroit for Thanksgiving, I'll write about the auto industry collapsing. Though there are no Detroit write-ins while I'm there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home