Friday, November 21, 2008

Any Unlucky Number Just Keeps Showing Up

November is always bad for me for so many reasons it seems. Although this might go down as one of the worst Novembers on record.

Life just constantly gets in the way of maximizing my NaNo potential.

Tonight I stayed in again after what happened last Friday and actually plugged out my story up until the point where the drama really sets in for the Washington D.C. scenes. I wrote almost 2,000 word in just over two hours (I'll call it 2:15) and now stand at 22,738. This didn't quite reach my goal of 23,000 but I was really distracted.

Though also inspired.

A real life friend of mine was selected as Review of the Day today on Yelp Chicago (I'm almost proud as I was the first person to compliment her on this review which has now been called "the funniest of the year") and so I wrote a review of Red Apple that I had been meaning to write for a while. It's the best receieved view I've gotten where there were no other Yelpers present (which always bulks up the score).

Well that's not entirely true. The review I wrote of the hospital last Friday now stands at 13 useful, 8 funny, and 8 cool feedbacks. It's creeping me out a bit that unlucky 13 is how many people found it useful but I guess it's fitting considering the circumstances.

Anyway, this positive feedback on my non-fiction writing led to a surge in my fiction writing confidence. I didn't write any high art today but it was good for a push.

The problem is that Yelp will prove more of a distraction than anything else when I go home to Detroit for Thanksgiving. I know I'm going to want to get out of the house and review places around Detroit (especially since Yelp Detroit is trying to get off the ground and needs all the reviews it can get). Plus I got a call from the girl who partially ruined last November who will also be in Detroit at the time and one of the days, I think we're going to see a Bollywood film at this place in my hometown that we had talked about seeing back when we were better friends.

This is definitely a reason to write like the wind this weekend. But I also want to go to a couple of places that I want to review in Chicago first (a New York style pizza joint is one while it's still relevant to my recent trip). I think I'll go to this place as a reward for reaching 25,000.

Hopefully I can get that done before lunchtime tomorrow.

I will begin to write again after this entry is done since I have one more goal to reach tonight. I'm a little over 500 words behind this girl I know (whose real name I can't remember), atlantistale, on the word war team. I want to pass her before I go to sleep. She hasn't written since the 13th (again that number, yikes) so she's probably busy preparing for a play like last November.

So I think it's only fitting that the scene I'm about to start is Jenae, one of the main character's hosts, preparing for a play.

Tomorrow I hope to catch the first remaining active writer above me, fyshy (who was one of the two people I met at the pre-NaNo trip to the Freedom Museum) who is currently at 27,893. I might be able to do that. If I don't get too distracted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home