Friday, November 16, 2007

The Weekend Is Blown Before It Starts

I was going to watch a movie tonight. Well, instead I wrote. Which is pretty good although a bit of opposite world. I wrote 1,919 words in a mad sprint between 9:00 and 10:15 this evening. My total is now at 32,923.

In my novelling numeroly, that's a pretty good sign. It's why I didn't write another word.

That and I finished Chapter Twelve. It's scary that when I actually write this year, I'm only doing half a chapter a day. Tonight's writing killed the momentum a bit as it was just a bunch of ripping on Tabitha's boyfriend Donovan (which is a bit of an inside joke because not-Tabitha once had me listen to a Donovan song and actually thought I might like it - though he did have an awesome Scottish accent in it).

I think, since I'm writing in humor/satire/parody that the novel sort of needed a really funny scene but I've lost all the tension from the end of "Pets" as I've went into "Drugs." Though I did set into motion the party scene where the three main characters. I think I have to promote Tabitha to MC status as she gets as much page time as Andy and more than Kate. Damn you Tabitha for taking over my story!

It is sort of sad that I've given Donovan more of a story than I've given Kate.

He's basically got five roommates who hate him because he screws up all the time and just doesn't get it. His line is, "what's the worst that could happen?"

It's from this line that I think I finally shattered the fourth wall after kicking against it the entire time (the narrator talks to "you humans" reading the novel for pete's sake):

“And you have just brought in a 90-inch flat screen rental television that is only balanced on a stand. A stand that people will be dancing around.”

“We can, um,” Donovan stammered, “put up a rope or something.”

“A rope?” the bald man asked.

“Yeah,” Donovan repleied, “like at a museum or something.”

“Like at a museum or something?” the bald man said repeating Donovan’s statement as a question for the second time. Then he went off on his own script saying, “where are we going to get a velvet rope at this time of night?”

“What’s the worst that can happen?” Donovan asked.

“It’s a good thing we’re not in a novel,” the bald man said, “or you just really sealed our fate right there.”


Sadly, I doubt that scene will ever see the light of day after it goes through the beta reader(s).

---

I really need to sit down and scribble away in my writer's notebook since I've now introduced three new characters who make their first appearance in "Drugs." I keep saying they won't continue into "Fireworks."

But Donovan probably will.

I'm thinking that he'll probably end up pretty crucial to the story, dumbass or no dumbass.

Maybe he can even be a counterploy when the real war between Andy and Tabitha begins. Though I don't want to make Andy too evil. Kate can't be the only redeeming character in the story.

I have hit a dilemma. I don't know what to write after the party (which will probably take up my weekend). The whole premise of my story is that it can only be narrated by the Little Green Envelope. So once the party is over, I'm not sure where he's going to be.

And I can't make the entirety of "Drugs" the party.

Though moving on to "Fireworks" would mean that I'll finish my novel in November probably so maybe I should. I was going to have Little Green Envelope get lost on the streets of Chicago but that's probably almost as silly as six people in an art collective arguing for an entire chapter.

Not that this happened in my novel or anything. :)

---

Tomorrow's not going to be a great writing day.

I was just going to go to this dinner party with Samantha (though I'm not her +1) but now I realize Stiff Little Fingers is in town tomorrow as part of this old school punk festival. So now I think I'm going to that all day.

The first band I want to see is The Methadones and they play 5th so that will probably be around 4:00 p.m. And I'm not going to stay for Naked Raygun (I'll probably stay for 7 Seconds who play between SLF and NR). Despite the Chicago pride, I've never been a fan. But I think I'm seeing the Joe Strummer movie "The Future Is Unwritten" at the Music Box tomorrow night at 9:40.

So it's basically writing between about noon and 3:00 p.m.

It's sort of sad that NaNo more on the weekdays than the weekends, but I guess that happens sometimes. Next weekend in Michigan, I'll probably write more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home