Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Spending More Time Explaining Than Storytelling

I am absolutely exhausted right now. After I wrote the blog entry yesterday, I actually did a few more word wars and ended up at 41,543 words at just after midnight.

Of course I didn't get to sleep until 1:00 a.m. and then today was a very long, rainy car ride back home to Michigan. I didn't write a single word in the car. The first half of the ride was with not-Kate (she actually sat in the back seat knitting with my sister's dog - though the dog was not, in fact, knitting) so I didn't want to be rude and break out the laptop (unless it was for not-Kate and I to watch part of a DVD or something).

The second half after dropping not-Kate off with his father (though her father was not being dropped off), I just didn't bother getting my laptop out of the trunk.

After my sister and I got home, I ended up just falling asleep as I usually do when I get back to my parent's house. I woke up just in time to watch "Kid Nation" and then attempt to write about half an hour later.

In 75 nerve racking minutes of writing today, I squeezed blood from a stone 1,015. I now stand at 42,558 words.

Not exactly the word burning that I wanted to do on the first day of the long weekend (extra long for me) but I can call that my travel day. And I'm disobeying ML orders and not even thinking of taking a day off tomorrow.

Tomorrow is traditionally a day I lock myself in my room and just write, write, write.

The problem was actually that I backed myself into a corner yesterday by getting the envelope trapped in a police car in an evidence bag. But I got to use these words:

“there’s more honor among thieves than these fucking artists. You’d think they were from Toronto or something.”

Yeah, that was a John Hancock moment. :)

Today, however, I worked my way back out of it by having the envelope just fall out of the car. Yeah, it seems like Deus Machina but I did get to write an explanation:

Thankfully what you humans call “bureaucracy” saved my life. Or simple error might be a better term for it. I was placed in a large pile of things in the “fucking pigs.” It felt like I was I was back in Kate…and Andy’s apartment except it was a bunch of plastic carrying cases with other things inside of them. The pile was equally messy, however and just like in the case of Kate…and Andy’s apartment, I just fell out of the car when the door was opened.

In the movies of action that I carry, things like this are happening all the time because in those, the officers are pretty much incompetent. But these two officers hadn’t shown themselves to be that to me at all. Still, I was sure these things had to happen and this wasn’t random coincidence, much as the envelopes and some of you humans would probably think that it is.

I just fell out of the “fucking pigs” and there was too much commotion with the party slowly exiting in a relatively calm manner (a couple of voices screamed “fucking pigs” on their way out but it was otherwise uneventful) and the officers looking to see if anyone else would like to join them on their way back “downtown” for them to notice that me, who ironically when I look back, sort of started the set of events into motion had fallen onto the ground.

While I’m glad they didn’t since I didn’t end up “downtown,” I’m a little relieved that I didn’t end up in the incinerator anyhow. As the officers were pulling away from the party in their “fucking pigs,” they almost ran me over a few times.

One human did see me, however, and it was Hoodie.


I'm really going off the plot in the story as of late. I just switched the narration to Andy and Hoodie having a conversation and Little Green Envelope just transcribing what they said about what they said at the hospital.

I have an explanation written into the story for this as well:

But you can’t always choose your point of view in situations such as this one. I just have to hope for the sake of the rest of the narrative that Andy and Hoodie are as reliable at telling a narrative as I am.

So in summation, today was basically 600 words of explanation and 400 words of story.

Tomorrow I can hopefully get back to the actual story and write a lot more than 1,000 words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home