Thursday, November 29, 2007

One More Session And Everyday I Wrote The Book

I think I'm going to type just past midnight today which means that I'm going to write every day in November this year. This is, by far, a first. I don't know if I'll ever do it again even if I participate in NaNo until I'm old.

And I just might since these stories are almost like bookmarks in my life. Each year they end up being a collection of my observations on the world condensed into one handy little (well 200+ pages in most cases) tome. Even though I've only LuLued the 2004 book (because it was the only one I finished), I still have the 2005 and 2006 writings around - though I've never even started to read the 2006 disaster.

I'm not one of those that burns their old manuscripts or anything. Despite how awful they are, they are still a piece of my life that I may one day want to just look at and recall. Even if I hate the prose, there's a little something of my life in each.

One thing that I didn't mention in any of these blog entries was that on October 30 while I was driving home from Taco Bell (food for every NaNoers unhealthy November soul), I heard "Everyday I Write The Book" by Elvis Costello.

It was pretty inspiring to write the book every day.

I just found out a couple of hours ago that I am going to karaoke with not-Kate and her friend (the one from the car ride of narrative proportions) on Saturday. That was actually where I originally met her friend (sang "Punk Rock Girl" that night).

Anyway, not getting my hopes up in any way, shape, or form. But point of the story (which some story this month has to have a point since my novel doesn't) is that I'm going to sing it on Saturday.

And it will never have had more meaning.

---

Tonight I beat my previous high word count for any previous NaNo (which I think is 58,229). Though somewhere in the back on my mind, 62k is saying it's an important number so maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, even if I did write 62,000 back in 2004 (I know the overall novel ended up 92,000 on December so I must have gotten close), I should shatter that tomorrow.

Yesterday, after wanting to stop drunk writing but not, I wrote 717 words from 12:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. I was exhausted today. But I slept a lot and ended up writing a whopping 2,639 words this evening.

The total of 3,356 words for the day was my second highest of the month. So much for not having much left to write. I broke 60k with a total of 60,852.

This means that 65k is totally attainable tomorrow at the write-in. If I don't call in sick to work, I'm going to try to go right after work. Though tonight I discovered that my laptop's power cord only works in some outlets now.

This is not good news.

At least it blew at the end of November this year and not the start and there was no fire involved.

---

Speaking of fire, Team Chicago has almost reached it's goal of an average of 50k per person.

That was the magic mark that I thought no team would be able to beat (2,750,000). Toronto is almost at that goal tonight. It is going to take some real umph to push through and beat them tomorrow so I hope Chicago has it in them. We're nearly 60,000 behind.

But there's no shame in losing to any team that puts up 3,000,000 words and Toronto is going to be really close to that.

It's like losing to a team in fantasy football that puts up 200 points. There was just no way, even if you scowered the waiver wire and played every position perfectly that anyone is going to beat that.

If someone bowls a 300, there's no way to bowl a 301.

Still, I think Chicago may have a few people already at the write-in tonight who may not have updated their word count for the day yet. I don't think we're really down 60,000 at the end of the day and we made up a bigger deficit than that once before.

I am not going to slack for my part this time. The last day of NaNo is 10 minutes away as I type this and I'm going to try to make the most of it.

At least I'll write a little in it and have all 30 days writing the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home