Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My Eyes Are All A-Flutter With The Sick

One thing that I'm not going to try and do next year is organize any write-ins for the west siders. I'm pretty jealous of Toronto because if one of them organizes something, it seems like every writer in the city shows up. Or maybe it's just my location, time, or just me. But I was at Atomix Cafe tonight as was posted on the Chicago boards and had a great time having a write-in with myself.

I think part of my problem is there's a much longer North Side write-in going on simultaneously to it. Since I drove to Chicago and Damen anyhow, I might as well drive to Chicago and Wells. Cripes. I should have checked that before scheduling. They're only two miles apart. But, to be fair, it's two miles west.

Next week there's not a near north one scheduled, so I'll go ahead and still give it a go. But from 5-9 or something. I don't think anyone wants to attend a two hour cram session. That is, unless they do the near north one again.

I did have some amazing vegan chili and two mugs of warm cider (that really hit the spot with how I've been feeling recently) so it wasn't a total waste of time. Oh and I kicked out 1418 words as well (in 90 minutes interrupted by eating). I now stand at 26,782.

Which puts me still soundly in 18th place on Team Chicago.

And I think all 17 people ahead of me were at the other write-in. :)

---

I have no excuse for not writing more today. As a reward for finishing Part One (finally!) yesterday night after checking in here on Retentivewrimo, I called in sick to work today.

Or I ended up sick because I was up really late breaking through the "Pets" barrier.

I wrote the following prose to get the ball back rolling:

“I’ve got it.”

Tabitha held me high in the air as if she was holding up a trophy she just won for winning a race. And in a way, that analogy isn’t far off because I could tell that she felt that she had won me, in a battle of wits if nothing else.

“He gave it back to you?” Kate asked.

“Without even a fight,” Tabitha said, the glow of victory still showing on her face.

“What did you do?”

“I slept with him.”

There was almost a look of terror on Kate’s face as the words came out of Tabitha’s mouth. “You did what?”

“I’m just kidding Kate,” Tabitha said, putting me down on top of the DVD player, “why would I ever do that? I mean, he’s not a bad looking guy or anything, but have more faith in me than that.”

“So what did you do?” Kate asked again, this time a bit more weary sounding of what Tabitha’s answer might be.

“I beat the crap out of him,” Tabitha grinned.

“Come on Tab,” Kate said with a hint of displeasure sneaking into her voice, “he’s about a foot taller and a hundred pounds heavier than you. And you know while he’s above hitting almost any other woman in the world, he’d really like to throttle you.”

“He wouldn’t stand a chance. Those kickboxing classes really come in handy.” Tabitha cut a karate chop through the air with her small hand.

“T-a-a-a-b. What did you do?”

“I’ve known that boy for longer than you have,” Tabitha said in a way that I could almost hear Andy’s voice when he had said the same thing to Kate a few days before, “I know all of his weak spots.”

“What-did-you-do?”

“I told you already, what’s any boy’s weak spot? I kneed him right in the peas and carrot and took it from him lickity split.”

“I still don’t believe you.”

“Fine,” Tabitha said, “if you really have to know.”

“I do.”

“Let’s just say that he has a much weaker spot than that, and I hit him there instead. I told him that I’d convince you to take him back if he gave me back the Little Green Envelope?”

Kate’s mouth dropped open as if the extra space was needed for how much her volume was about to raise.

“Why would you do that? Why? You know I don’t want him back.”

“Trust me on this one, will you? That asshole isn’t going to know what hit him by the time this is done.”

“Tabitha,” Kate said, “does he really deserve for you to try to ruin his life? He’s not a bad guy. He was always faithful to me. He and I just weren’t meant to be together.”

“Kate,” Tabitha said, “there are things I could tell you from that boy’s past that would make anything I could possibly do to him seem like ‘nah, nah, nah, nah, boo, boo.’ Just trust me on this one.”

“I trust you,” Kate said wearily, “but somehow I get the impression that Andy does too.”

“This is for all of womankind,” Tabitha said in a grandiose tone, “why would I sell out a sister? We’re all in this together.”

There was something so convincing in the woman’s voice that I looked at the Little Green romance Envelope and felt as though she was turning against me as Tabitha spoke just for being a male envelope. Good thing she didn’t, because we were both about to embark on a long trip back to the warehouse.


Remember a few entries back when I said that I was going to have to take flack for this book being anti-woman? Well now I'm really going to take that flack!

I should have actually broken 25,000 last night but instead I broke it while I should have been at work. I definitely have to go in tomorrow so I'm going to wrap this up. I have to deal with a New York issue before I do. I <3 being Word War captain sometimes, let me tell you.

I'm just a few inches away from sending the envelope to a post-apocolyptic New York City just so I can destroy it in this novel. Seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home