Friday, November 24, 2006

What I Did To Procrastinate The Last Two Days

I think my excuse that I didn't have my laptop and that was why I was going slower (or well stopped) was not a very good one. Early this morning, I went to Office Depot and bought a new HP Pavillion dv6000 at a Black Friday sale and yet today I've wrote 854 words (all the introduction to a chapter). While I'm going to write more tonight after this entry and get to 1,667 (like that will help), I don't think I'm going to get to 50,000 this weekend (but congratulations to squirrelgirl22 who became the second one of my friends to do so when she did it today).

Truth be told it was my own fault that I didn't write more yesterday night. Originally grabbing the sales papers I had planned to go to the 9 to midnight sales at CompUSA and so after Thanksgiving dinner my little brother and I set off for the Novi Town Center (next to the Borders I used to work at) to wait for their deal - a $399.99 Compaq Presario.

The only problem with this strategy was that it was $629.00 before a rebate. That was something at that time at night that I didn't want to put on my debit card.

So when it came time to get the voucher that would let me get the laptop, I started to get cold feet. The final apprehension was when I realized that the system they were selling at CompUSA had nothing but Windows XP built in. At this point, adding up the cost of all of the free software that the other places stuck on there (like Quicken) I decided it wasn't a high priority to get that laptop.

So when they ran out two people before me, I almost felt let off the hook. Though when the person two people ahead of me decided they didn't want it as well I almost still went to grab it. A couple of Indian dudes who had jumped ahead of me in line grabbed the final voucher instead.

I still went into CompUSA because they had great deals on memory (and because I was supposed to pick up a $4.99 router for my brother that ended up selling out before I got to it) and decided to look online for a similar Compaq Presario I had seen on circuitcity.com for $399.99 OTD (which I could have picked up the next day).

But when I got home, Circuit City had stopped selling their yearly laptop special online. Headdesking a few times for basically passing up my chance at the Presario, I finally decided that head out and brave the elements for the second year in a row.

I drove by the Circuit City first and saw at least 50 people and knew I wouldn't get the computer there. So then I drove to Best Buy where they had a secret Toshiba Sattlelite (the computer I was running on for the last few years) that they didn't advertise. Each store had 18 of them so I figured if there were 50 people there as well that I'd get one for sure. There were closer to 300.

Earlier in the day I had checked out every sales paper with a computer and remembered that Office Depot had a couple of good deals. I recalled that there was an Office Depot on Haggerty Road in Northville Township (about five miles southeast of my parent's house and the home of Michigan's governor Jennifer Granholm). I passed right by it at about midnight because the lights weren't on.

I tried to continue southeast to Livonia Mall and didn't see any Office Depot (or anything else) and then couldn't even find Wonderland Mall (also in Livonia). Finally I went back to West Oaks back in Novi (where the Circuit City is) thinking there was an Office Depot - turns out it was an Office Max.

Finally I broke out my cell phone and using T-Mobile Web looked up where some Metro Detroit Office Depots actually were. Turns out my instincts were correct and the Office Depot was where I thought. Driving back down there I pulled up and was ecstatic when there were only 11 people in line. Of course the problem was only three of the $249.99 computers were guaranteed to be there. But I was so tired I threw down my sleeping bag at about 1:15 a.m. and just hoped when I woke up, it would all be okay - or else I don't know what I would have done.

I woke up to the sound of an employee saying they were going to pass out vouchers shortly (at 5:15 a.m.) and stood up with my fingers crossed.

Turns out the $249.99 computer sold out far before me (they had five or six) and I would have had to get there at about 11:00 p.m. just like any other place. But I did get one of the eight of this computer they had.

So here I am finally back on a laptop and ready, I guess, to write.

Well except for one small problem or two. The first is that I have to go back to Office Depot tomorrow and get my rebate form (I paid $629.00 right now instead of the $429.99 final price) and to some other stores to get refunds on some impulse purchases that I shouldn't have made (like an off-brand DVD recorder at CompUSA that just happened to be sitting by the register).

And then I'll come home and write.

Yeah, that's the ticket. I'll write tomorrow. I have no excuses anymore since I just spent a bunch of money on this word processor for the last seven days of NANOWRIMO and then an internet toy for the rest of the year after all.

---

TOTAL WORD COUNT: 35,491 words

1 Comments:

Blogger Sya said...

Oh wow, you're more tenacious than I am. I try to avoid the crazy holiday shopping crowd as much as I can.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home