Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Difference Between You And Me Is That Your Laptop Is Alive

Yesterday night life conspired against me to keep me from writing. I got home from work and set down to typing almost immediately. I think I even added a couple of hundred words before the inevitable happened - my laptop's monitor finally gave way.

I tried to revive it by opening it and closing it fast as had worked before but that only made it worse. Finally I gave up and took my laptop to Best Buy to get it fixed.

After having to go to Customer Service to get my receipt from the day after Thanksgiving last year reprinted, I found out that even though I bought the laptop less than a year ago it was no longer under warranty. The manufacutrers warranty from Toshiba was for 90 days parts and labor. The person working at the Geek Squad desk was shocked since he had never seen such a limited warranty before.

Long and short of it, I had to spend $79.00 to ship it off to Best Buy's repair vendor (they only do software and hardware installation and trouble shooting) and will know in about a week what is wrong with it.

The Geek Squad member seemed to think it was a loose connection (after joking that the blue lines that were all the screen showed were his favorite movie) and if it is, hopefully the $79.00 from the initial consultation will cover the repairs as well (if the parts and labor add up to under $79.00, I won't have to pay any more).

While listening to the sound of dollars flying out of my pocket, the hazy proclaimation I made last year flashed through my head, "I don't need the Best Buy warranty, I'm only going to have the computer for a year or two."

The next time I buy a major piece of electronics, I'm going to get the warranty.

That's not the big problem though. The big problem is that my laptop is probably going to be in service for over a week. And I've gotten very set on doing things on my laptop. I *could* have resorted to writing out the novel or I *could* have went to work on my desktop. But the thought of getting out of the laptop groove and trying to write any other way just made me not want to write.

So instead I just watched the pre-election coverage on MSNBC.

The good news is that I'm leaving for Dallas for work tomorrow morning and will be on the business trip until Friday. This means that I'm allowed to check out a loaner laptop which can't be returned on Friday (as my plane lands at 2:30 p.m. and there's no way I can get back to work by 4:00 p.m.) so I have it over the weekend.

And then I guess Mr. Spoiled is going to have to work on his desktop after that.

Tonight I should get a lot written, however, as I have to do laundry while watching the election results and there's nothing that makes laundry go faster than trying to squeeze out NANOWRIMO words (which always makes the time go way too fast).

And then the plane tomorrow and then seven hours of boredom between checking in students and giving them their certificates (if you don't know, I'm an adult educational - licensing courses and continuing education - administrator for real estate appraisers) and then another plane and waiting in the airport.

There's no reason why I couldn't write 10,000 words before the weekend.

Well except that I'm lazy and will probably be looking for some excuse not to write like my lucky laptop being broken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home