Sunday, December 11, 2005

So Long As I Don't Write A Cover Of My Novel Next Year

Even if you didn't participate in NaNoWriMo this year, there's a good reason to listen to the final official podcast from the site. You can hear the mysterious voice of yours truly extolling the virtues of participating in the event multiple times.

As I've stated a lot of times, I'm not exactly proud of my voice. But it's the first one that you hear after the host and Chris Baty's (also known as the deity of speed writers everywhere who shall not be blasphemed). Also on the podcast, you can hear rosemilk talk about writing over 110,000 words.

squirrelgirl22 didn't make the podcast this year that I could tell but she spent the majority of the TGIO party telling Sam Hallgren (the host of the podcast) that she didn't want to be interviewed after last year's drunken fun - and then getting interviewed anyway. I'm sure whatever she said was more articulate than my ramblings that made the cast.

The podcast is available at http://www.nanowrimo.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=60.




Despite my protestations about Chris Baty's refusal to encourage writers to finish in December, I have certainly been heeding his words quite well. I did sit down and write 3,232 words yesterday evening which ranks as my 4th largest daily output of 2005 but other than that, I have been majorly slacking.

Nothing seems to be breaking my habit of not writing. But, I guess after cultivating that for 27 years, it takes a lot to break it, even in the current three. :)


6,793 / 30,000
(22.6%)



I also wrote 508 words this afternoon at the laundromat. It would have helped if I had a table to set my laptop on but I've never seen the place so packed on a Sunday afternoon.

Part of the reason today was a little slower was that I hate a mini-climax yesterday with the next morning after the awkward scene between Liam and Emily. I can't give too much away, but I felt every bit as drained as the character when I wrote the words that I did to make him feel drained.

And there is my big problem as a writer that I have to overcome. I just can't pull the trigger on having really bad things happen to characters. In the last two days I watched two of the most no-holds-barred movies in existance, "The Devil's Rejects" and "Saw." The people who wrote those screenplays (especially Rob Zombie) had no problem in having horrible things befall characters they carefully crafted.

Next year, I'm just going to get in a really angry mood at the end of October (pity all those in my life at that time) to be able to just rip the shit out of my characters. Well, I guess that's not the problem exactly. I don't have a huge problem inflicting damage on my creations, it's that I have a hard time having other creations doing it to them.

One of Liam's big characteristics in "Stars, Bars, and The Crown" is that he doesn't have the heart to do anything that might be necessary to save himself and others. And while, thankfully, I don't have to make choices like that in my own life, I have the same problem in my novel. It keeps the "bad guys" from becoming caricatures, but it also prevents the novel from reaching the next level.

I'm also going to write next year's novel from multiple points of views. What was I thinking having a single P.O.V. this year? I did two P.O.V.s with "Why Sleep When I'll Only Dream?" so it's not like I haven't accomplished it before.

Next year, I'm thinking three P.O.V.s. And in third person omnipotent. Technically this years is in T.P.O. but it's only because there's a narrator voice.

If I do a rewrite of this year's NaNo novel, it is being ripped to shreds and the P.O.V. is being spread out. I allude to a lot of events that will become fully separate chapters where they are written on-screen as opposed to off.

Yes, it could sound a little bit more like a real novel as opposed to a confused young adult wandering around aimlessly. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home