Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Reward For Hard Work Means Nothing

So I still didn't pull the trigger on the evil thing yesterday night. I wrote another thousand words or so and got right up to the point where the event was going to happen, before I stopped writing.

I almost wish I were blogging this novel live since this would be the perfect place for a pick-a-path book type question.


2,193 / 30,000
(7.3%)



Basically what the situation comes down to is this. Mia is on a campaign junket in northern Ohio with Starwood and Liam (who suspects his fiancee is carrying on an affair with the candidate) is home alone in Detroit.

He figures that this is the perfect time to bring Emily (his ex-girlfriend before Mia) around and let her know to get out of her job spying for him at the Cane and Candle. Liam, on the verge of a nervous breakdown confronts Emily on what he heard from Callum, that the two were an item.

Emily gets really angry, tells Liam that she can't believe he doesn't trust her after "all they've been through and all they've done" and starts to leave. This gets Liam's worry up as the suspicions that she's in cahoots with the police get aroused again.

The situation now is this. I'm tempted to have Emily just rip off her blouse and scream, "do you see a wire here?" to Liam (earlier in the book, Liam had Mia search Emily) and who knows what happens from there.

Liam could either:

  • Take the high road, tell Emily that he trusts her now.
  • Cheat on Mia with Emily because he suspects Mia is having an affair.
  • Have Officer Charlton bust in an arrest Liam on Enemies of the Commonwealth charges, meaning Emily is the police informant.

    I don't think that the third is an option since I don't think I'm ready to reveal who the informant is yet. The second one is probably the one I'm going to take. But that's what's making the scene awkward. Do I really want to take that path for the rest of the book.

    Liam is fast becoming very unlikeable and I didn't set out to make him an anti-hero.

    At least I've got a lot of time at work to think about it.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home