Saturday, November 26, 2005

On This Day Last Year, Something Wonderful Happened

NOVI, MICHIGAN - At about this time last year I was celebrating my validation (or, well the ability to validate, I didn't actually validate on the 26th) of 50,000 words for NaNoWriMo. I could, if I hadn't been dicking around all weekend probably have done the same today (though I would have waited until Monday so I could post the blue bar before I posted the purple one).

2004 NaNoWriMo: 52,315 words
2005 NaNoWriMo: 44,044 words

As it stands, I'll just have to stare lovingly at the entry, "I'm Actually Thankful For At Least Getting A Chance To Reach 50,000 Words" (November 26, 2004) and hope I can write another little under 6,000 words in the next four days.

I know, I know that I should cry myself a river because there are people a lot further behind still trying to win.


44,044 / 50,000
(88.1%)



On that note, this year's infanttyrone award for never giving up goes hollowpoint who wrote 7,000 words today and is near the halfway point of 50,000 after being stalled at 6,400 words for half the month. My MC would be pissed that a Briton was having such a resurgance, but since I'm not Liam, huzzah to my Brighton LiveJournal friend!

I'm still going to attempt one more writing session tonight going into the wee hours of the morning. The goal is about 45,500 (which will still leave me behind reliantfc3 but it's worth a try.

reliantfc3: 46,006 words
incendiarymind: 44,044 words

The one really good thing about being home this weekend was that I was able to finally recover a copy of my 2004 NaNoWriMo report card. This whole month I've been comparing myself to it (as I remembered it) and though that I wasn't matching up very favorably to it. Wow, was I ever wrong. Here are some prime examples of my negativity in the first year I finished NaNoWriMo:

11/9/04: Morale (6) - The plot seems to be going too fast and I may run out of rising action too soon.

11/10/04: Morale (4) - The last few chapters seem thrown together. Need more information on Paris airport.

11/18/04: Morale (6) - Didn't get a chance to write on the first full day in New York, too busy working.

11/19/04: Morale (3) - The computer crashes so eight hours of doing nothing are wasted as I can't work on my novel offline.

11/20/04: Morale (2) - With yet another day passing, I'm worried about even making 50,000 with Thanksgiving coming up.

11/25/04: Morale (2) - Thanksgiving weekend plans to write have gone to crap. Going to have to really rush the ending.

11/26/04: Morale (4) - Starting to become resigned to the fact that I won't finish the story as I want it finished. Got off on a small rabbit trail which might or might not lead to Prague.

One day I might just publish the entire chart (which doesn't include the last few days of Novemeber 2004 since I didn't back it up after last year's Thanksgiving trip to Michigan) just for comedic value. If you want to see wild mood swings, there they were.

I seriously averaged a morale of five on a 10 point scale while writing over the amount of words required.

This year I'm averaging six and will barely crack the 50,000 mark. Though there's a little secret that I can't reveal about my writing time for fear that certain other people will use it to their advantage. :)

If I just finish this year, I think my morale will be higher than last year in November because my goals were different. Last year I actually wanted to finish the book in November (I did end up finishing in 30 days of writing) and this year I just want to finish. So I'm not setting my goals as high. That's alright, my writing level isn't as high either.

I'm letting my laptop recharge right now to really dig in on the way back to Chicago (I'm typing this on the computer in my dad's den) so maybe by the next time I write an entry I will be at 50,000. But chances are it will be more like 45,000 with how much I'm putting things off this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home