Saturday, October 15, 2005

Not Much Of An Entry On Not Much Of A Day

Today I watched "Pompeii: The Last Day." This is going to sound odd, but I've never seen a documentary that made me cry before. And, I've seen a lot of documentaries in my day. The way they take the skeletal remains and tell a story makes me regret that I didn't take a few more anthropology courses. It could come in handy in my writing to know how to write a good ethnography.

I have a confession to make. This NANO season, I actually wanted to write something about survival in a disaster zone. I'm really surprised that I haven't seen more people on the NANOWRIMO message boards who are writing that kind of novella this November (as I'm sure my mind isn't the only one that watched coverage of New Orleans and said, "these people have incredible stories"). I'm not sure what take I would have sculpted from. I would have wanted to avoid some sort of morality tale where those who behave by societal standards end up living and those who don't end up dying.

And for goodness sakes I don't want to make government types the heroes. But I know being the green that I am, I probably would, though not cops.

Counter productive thinking winning out, the thought actually crossed my mind of having some sort of natural disaster strike. The two competing groups could then have to come together and get out of a jam. And then they'd do a little dance or something.

No, that's just stupid. I'm just going to put off survival stories until next year and hope that no other events happen that spur my imagination in that direction.

That all being said, I still highly recommend "Pompeii: The Last Day" since it really shows that no matter how many centuries pass, people's reactions to natural disasters pretty much stay the same.

1 Comments:

Blogger RICKEY LAURENTIIS said...

I saw Pompeii: The last Day as a part of my Latin III class last year. We were studying Pliny the Younger's letters, including his writings on the eruption of Vesuvius. I really enjoyed the program. Like you implied, it was really different from your typical documentary.

Not only that, but I am from New Orleans and was there when Katrina hit. It pained me, but several times during the episode and even now I tell myself: this would make a powerful story. I can't begin to write it though, for I don't know exactly where it would end....

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home