Thursday, October 27, 2005

And Now We Can All Go Back To Not Caring About The White Sox

My last blog entry on here actually got a comment. It's not the first entry to do so (three have) but it's the first comment that really sparks a debate.

I made the comment that I recommend notes be taken in pencil, but Sya who runs the amazing all-inclusive NaNoWriMo web site Writing Sya which includes her updates on progress divided into multiple categories and her novel had the following counter argument:

"I disagree with using mechanical pencils/any type of pencils, though. It's just jotting ideas down and writing rough drafts--if I make a mistake in pen, that's okay. I still have a record of the mistake and it might even spark another idea at a later date. Pencil tends to smear over time (my old journals in pencil are near unreadable now) and I hate erasing. Too much eraser crud."

I can definitely see that argument too and I do use pen if I know it's something that won't change. But, if there's any chance I'll need to move things around, pencil it is. I have notecards last year in pen that are illegible through all the strike-throughs of previously good ideas.

Certainly it's a good idea to use pen for posterity's sake if you want to track the mess of the process. But that's why I use this blog. :)

In the end, I'm curious about what everybody uses. There's a new poll (created by me of course) on the nanowrimo.org web site called, "What primary writing utensil do you use to plan your novel?"

---

No new general progress on the novel, but I did get some good ideas about what to call the revolutionary society from the sourcebook I bought on the War of 1812.

It's either going to be the John Harper Society or the Peter Porter Society.

Johh Harper was a Congressman who gave fiery speeches from the floor in the eary 19th century to encourage and invasion of Canada due to some sort of northern manifest destiny. His most famous quote is, "the Author of Nature himself has marked our limits in the south by the Gulf of Mexico; and on the north by the regions of eternal frost."

Peter Porter was an entrepreneur who wanted to build a system of canals through New York that would bypass the St. Lawrence Seaway. He wanted to take control of the area that is now Ontario and leave the area now Quebec as an independent nation (and hence force traders who didn't want to deal with customs to come through the great lakes and then into New York). His dream was eventually realized with the Erie Canal (without taking over Canada). But in the early 1800s, he was ahead of his time.

I like John Harper Society even though it sounds a little too much like the John Birch Society. In theory, however, my fictional group would share a lot of the same libertarian tendencies as the John Birch Society so it makes some sense.

Peter Porter Society just doesn't have the same ring to it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sya said...

Ah, but why strike-through when you can just draw a box around the old idea and write "No" to indicate you're not using it at the moment?

But I would be the first to admit that everyone has their own way of writing down notes and doing background planning. For instance, plenty of people say that "snowflaking" really helps in their outlining. If it works for them--great. Personally, I can't stand that level of organization. I must have some messiness and vagueness somewhere.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home